Copy-Editing for Academic and Non-Fiction Texts
From £0.012/word (£12/1000 words)
What is copyediting?
Copy-editing comes in after you’re completely happy with the content and structure of your paper, thesis, dissertation, research proposal or admissions essay.
This service focuses on making your writing as readable and error free as possible, dealing with issues of clarity, consistency, flow, grammar, punctuation, academic tone and style, among others.
The aim is to ensure your arguments and ideas shine through clearly and with maximum impact. Non-native speakers of English may require more substantive copy-editing,
What copy-editing is not
Copy-editing is not a final quality-check of a publication-ready paper. For this service, please visit my proofreading page.
In addition, copy-editing is no substitute for developmental editing. This comes in at an earlier stage when you are still getting your paper into shape. It can help you strengthen your argument, identify weak spots and ensure your writing is logical and coherent.
Many researchers and students will receive this kind of feedback from colleagues, supervisors or professors. However, these people are sometimes very busy and might not be able to give you as much time as you’d like or need.
The good news is that you can also hire a developmental editor with expertise in academic writing. I offer developmental editing services for academic and non-fiction texts and have helped many clients boost their grades and chances of successful journal submission.
MY academic COPY-EDITING EXPERTISE
I have a PhD in Languages, Literature and Cultural Studies, an MA in Politics, and a BA in History and English, giving me a strong background in the Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities.
However, since becoming an editor in 2015, I’ve successfully worked on numerous scientific, medical and technical papers.
In addition, I taught English as a Foreign Language for 15+ years, developing a strong understanding of grammar and syntax as a result.
what you’ll get
- A full, word-by-word copy-edit of your paper to ensure the writing flows well and is clear and error free. Various types of inconsistencies will also be flagged and fixed.
- A stylesheet on which I’ve noted my editorial decisions.
Issues I’ll address
- Appropriate and consistent abbreviation use
- Academic tone
- Chapter/heading sequencing
- Formatting using Microsoft Word’s styles palette: indentation, paragraph style, section breaks
- Grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, hyphenation, numbering, and capitalisation
- Logical progression of sentences and paragraphs
- Narrative flow and pace, with attention to repetition, redundancy and overwriting
- Referencing style: in-text citations and works cited list
- Tense usage
- Tables, figures and images
- Table of contents
- Layout of text
- Letter, word, line and paragraph spacing
Note: While I will suggest linking words and phrases if necessary to improve logic and flow, I won’t offer detailed commentary, suggestions or rewriting to address significant problems.
If you need more substantive feedback, please take a look at my developmental editing service.
“Copy-editing helps you convey your ideas with maximum clarity and impact.”