Developmental Editing for University Students
From £0.02/word, depending on sample and timeframe.
What is developmental editing?
This service helps you strengthen and develop your arguments and identifies weak points, ambiguities and issues with logic or narrative flow.
Many students lose marks because they haven’t yet developed the ability to write clear, concise, and coherent paragraphs that follow one another in a logical manner. However, I can help you with this through clear guidelines and advice.
In addition, I will show you how to improve the overall quality of your writing. This skill will not only stand you in good stead during the rest of your studies but will also be invaluable in helping you write great job applications and perform to a high standard in your future career.
If you learn to write well, you’ll also save a lot of future costs on editing and proofreading!
What developmental editing is not
This service is focused on helping you develop your argument and writing skills. It isn’t a substitute for copy-editing or proofreading and comes in at an earlier stage of the writing.
While I will suggest how to improve aspects of your writing and grammar, I won’t do a thorough word-by-word edit to clean up language-related issues.
My teaching & editing Expertise
I have a PhD in Languages, Literature and Cultural Studies, an MA in Politics, and a BA in History and English Literature. I have been a marker of undergraduate essays, so I know what professors are looking for and can help you meet the requirements to get good grades.
While my academic background is primarily in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, I can still help students doing scientific, medical or technical subjects as the service focuses less on content and more on how information is presented and arguments are made and backed up.
Finally, I was an English language teacher for 15+ years, during which I developed the ability to give high-quality feedback and teach students how to improve their writing and communication skills.
What you get
- A half-page report on the overall strengths & weaknesses of your paper, focusing on critical engagement with other scholars, coherence and strength of the argument in relation to the question, and writing quality. I will also advise which areas you should focus on in your next draft depending on the amount of time you have.
- Comments throughout your paper to identify weak points and ambiguities, plus suggestions on how to strengthen your argument, improve the coherence and cohesion of your paragraphs and develop stronger writing skills.
ISSUES I’ll ADDRESS
- Ambiguities at sentence level and in the overall argument
- Appropriateness of introduction and conclusion
- Headings and titles: appropriate and clear
- Structure of the paper: logical, contains all elements required.
- Coherence, concision, logic and flow of paragraphs and sentences
- Level of critical engagement with other scholars
- Weaknesses in the argument/supporting evidence
- Footnotes, endnotes and citations – proper use and formatting
- Quality of the writing
“Achieve higher grades and improve your chances of getting your top university choices.”