Proofreading for Academic and Non-Fiction Texts
From £0.008/word (£8/1000 words)
what is academic/non-fiction proofreading?
Proofreading is the final quality-check stage before publication. In a traditional publishing context, proofreading is done after a copy-editor has already checked the text. It is conducted on the printed proofs or final digital format, often using special proofreading symbols.
However, many students and researchers are looking for someone who can check their paper, thesis, dissertation, research proposal or admissions essay before they submit it to a professor, journal or admissions board.
This type of service has come to be called ‘proof-editing’ by some, as it is not conducted on final proofs and there has sometimes not been a copy-editing stage before it.
my proofreading expertise
I have industry-standard qualifications in proofreading from the Publishing Training Centre, UK, and my entire career has revolved around the written word.
I’ve been an editor since 2015 and a writer all my life. In addition, I taught English as a Foreign Language for 15+ years, developing a strong understanding of grammar and syntax as a result. My PhD Studies on the historical novel taught me high-level analytical skills and how to write clearly, logically and unambiguously.
what you’ll get
- A word by word, line by line check of your entire paper to catch any errors, inconsistencies and formatting issues that have slipped through earlier editing stages.
- A style sheet on which I’ve recorded my editorial decisions.
issues i’ll address
- Chapter/heading sequencing and pagination
- Consistency in text design, tables and figures
- Consistent abbreviation use, hyphenation and capitalisation
- Homophones and homonyms
- Paragraph and section breaks
- Paragraph indentation
- Referencing style (in-text citations and works cited list)
- Removal of extra letter and line spaces
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation to ensure they are consistent and error free
- Table of contents accuracy
- Widows, orphans and short lines
Note: If you would like me to check that in-text citations are all referenced correctly in the list of works cited, this will incur an added fee depending on the length of the text and bibliography.
I don’t do indexing or page layout and design, as these are separate skills for which I am not qualified.
“Proofreading is the final quality check to ensure no errors and inconsistencies remain in your paper.”