Proofreading for Fiction
Price from £0.008/word (£8/1000 words)
what is fiction proofreading?
Proofreading is the final quality-check stage before publication. It comes after the copy-editing stage and is conducted on the printed proofs or final digital format, often using special proofreading symbols.
What proofreading is not
Proofreading is not suitable for texts which have not already been carefully edited at the sentence and word level, whether by a trained copy-editor or by the writer themselves if they possess the appropriate skills.
It is specifically designed to catch small errors and inconsistencies that have slipped through earlier stages of editing. In addition, this service checks that the formatting, layout and design of the printed or digital proofs are all as they should be.
my proofreading expertise
I have industry-standard qualifications in proofreading from the Publishing Training Centre, UK, and my entire career has revolved around the written word.
I’ve been an editor since 2015 and a writer all my life. In addition, I taught English as a Foreign Language for 15+ years, developing a strong understanding of grammar and syntax as a result. My PhD Studies on the historical novel taught me high-level analytical skills and how to write clearly, logically and unambiguously.
what you’ll get
- A word-by-word check of your entire story to catch any errors, inconsistencies and formatting issues that have slipped through earlier editing stages.
- A style sheet on which I’ve recorded my editorial decisions.
issues I’ll Address
- Chapter sequencing and pagination
- Consistency in text design and images
- Consistent hyphenation and capitalisation
- Correct punctuation of dialogue
- Homophones and homonyms
- Paragraph and section breaks
- Paragraph indentation
- Removal of extra letter and line spaces
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation to ensure they are consistent and error free
- Widows, orphans and short lines
On the style sheet, I’ll record all decisions made in relation to hyphenation, numbering, capitalisation, spelling, punctuation and idiom usage.
“Proofreading is the final quality check to ensure no errors and inconsistencies remain in your story.”